Episode 22: (June 3-9) "Continue Ye In My Love"

Listen to Episode 22: June 3-9 "Continue Ye In My Love" here.

How does obedience show love for God and our Savior? What are the roles of the Holy Ghost? If Christ were to pray for YOU what would he pray? We discuss all this and more in this week's episode of The Savior Said!



Okay, so this is ramble-y, but here are my notes for this week's episode (including all of the quotes...SO MANY QUOTES!)



SUMMARY:


John 13 (LOVE)

After eating the Passover meal, Jesus washed His Apostles’ feet and identified Judas as His betrayer. Despite the turbulence of the final week of His mortal ministry, Jesus focused His teachings on obedience, service, and love—attributes that defined His life and should define the lives of His disciples in all ages.


John 14 (COMFORT)

Following the Passover meal, Jesus taught His Apostles how to return to Heavenly Father and how to show their love for the Savior. Jesus then promised His Apostles that He would send them another Comforter.


FAVE SCRIPTURE: 27 aPeace I leave with you, my bpeace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be ctroubled, neither let it be afraid.


John 15 (ABIDE)

On the final evening of His mortal ministry, after the Last Supper, the Savior taught His Apostles that He is the True Vine and that His disciples are the branches. He commanded His disciples to love one another and warned them of the persecution they would experience because of their association with Him.


John 16 (UPCOMING)

After the Passover meal, Jesus Christ continued to teach His disciples. He told them that He would soon go to His Father and that the Holy Ghost, or the Comforter, would come and guide them into all truth. Jesus prophesied of His own death and Resurrection and proclaimed that He had overcome the world.



FAVE SCRIPTURE: 33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have apeace. In the bworld ye shall have ctribulation: but be of good dcheer; I have eovercome the world.


John 17 (BE ONE)

Before the Savior suffered in Gethsemane, He offered His great Intercessory Prayer. He prayed that His disciples and all who follow Him would come to know Heavenly Father and obtain eternal life, and He prayed that they might be one with Him and His Father.
COME FOLLOW ME

John 13–15
I show my love for Jesus Christ by keeping His commandment to love.

Jesus had already taught that the two greatest commandments have to do with love (see Matthew 22:34–40 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt alove the Lord thy God with all thy bheart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy cmind.

38 This is the first and great acommandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself.



In keeping with this emphasis, love was a major theme of His final instructions to His Apostles. As you read John 13–15, you might note or mark each use of the word love (SEVEN).

You may notice the word commandments repeated frequently in association with the word love in these chapters. What can you learn about the relationship between love and commandments from the Savior’s teachings? What other words do you find repeated frequently with the word love in these chapters? Based on what you learn, consider writing a brief summary of the Savior’s teachings about love.

See also D. Todd Christofferson, “Abide in My Love,” Ensignor Liahona, Nov. 2016, 48–51.



“When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.” - Ezra Taft Benson



D. Todd Christofferson, “Abide in My Love,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 48–51.

There are many ways to describe and speak of divine love. One of the terms we hear often today is that God’s love is “unconditional.” While in one sense that is true, the descriptor unconditional appears nowhere in scripture. Rather, His love is described in scripture as “great and wonderful love,”3 “perfect love,”4 “redeeming love,”5 and “everlasting love.”6 These are better terms because the word unconditional can convey mistaken impressions about divine love, such as, God tolerates and excuses anything we do because His love is unconditional, or God makes no demands upon us because His love is unconditional, or all are saved in the heavenly kingdom of God because His love is unconditional. God’s love is infinite and it will endure forever, but what it means for each of us depends on how we respond to His love.

Jesus said:

“As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.”7

To “continue in” or “abide in” the Savior’s love means to receive His grace and be perfected by it.8 To receive His grace, we must have faith in Jesus Christ and keep His commandments, including repenting of our sins, being baptized for the remission of sins, receiving the Holy Ghost, and continuing in the path of obedience.9

God will always love us, but He cannot save us in our sins.10Remember the words of Amulek to Zeezrom that the Savior would not save His people in their sins but from their sins,11the reason being that with sin we are unclean and “no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of heaven”12 or dwell in God’s presence. “And [Christ] hath power given unto him from the Father to redeem [His people] from their sins because of repentance; therefore he hath sent his angels to declare the tidings of the conditions of repentance, which bringeth unto the power of the Redeemer, unto the salvation of their souls.”13

From the Book of Mormon we learn that the intent of Christ’s suffering—the ultimate manifestation of His love—was “to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.

“And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exercises no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption.”14

Repentance, then, is His gift to us, purchased at a very dear price.

Some will argue that God blesses everyone without distinction—citing, for example, Jesus’s statement in the Sermon on the Mount: “[God] maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.”15 Indeed, God does rain down upon all His children all the blessings He can—all the blessings that love and law and justice and mercy will permit. And He commands us to be likewise generous:

“I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven.”16

Nevertheless, God’s greater blessings are conditioned on obedience. President Russell M. Nelson explained: “The resplendent bouquet of God’s love—including eternal life—includes blessings for which we must qualify, not entitlements to be expected unworthily. Sinners cannot bend His will to theirs and require Him to bless them in sin [see Alma 11:37]. If they desire to enjoy every bloom in His beautiful bouquet, they must repent.”


____________________________________________________________

John 14–16
The Holy Ghost helps me fulfill my purpose as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ knew He would soon leave His disciples, and He knew they would need spiritual support once He was gone. To help them understand how they would receive this support, He taught them about the Holy Ghost. What do you learn about the roles of the Holy Ghost from the Savior’s words in the following verses?


John 14:16–17, 26 - Comforter


John 15:26 - “He shall testify of me”


John 16:7–11 - “8 And when he is come, he will areprove (convict) the world of sin, and of brighteousness, and of judgment:


John 16:12–15 “bguide you into all ctruth:....and he will dshew you things to come.


Why did the disciples need this kind of help from the Holy Ghost? How has the Holy Ghost fulfilled these roles in your life? As you continue studying the New Testament, look for ways the Holy Ghost blessed Jesus’s disciples. How would your life be different if you invited the Holy Ghost to influence you more deeply?


John 15:1–8
As I abide in Christ, I will bring forth good fruit.

What might it mean to “abide in [Christ]”? (John 15:4). What “fruit” shows that you are attached to the vine, which represents Jesus Christ?


NT Sem Manual: the word abide as used in these verses means to remain firmly and permanently attached to Jesus Christ and His Church


Jeffrey R. Holland, “Abide in Me,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2004

“Abide in me” is an understandable and beautiful enough concept in the elegant English of the King James Bible, but “abide” is not a word we use much anymore. So I gained even more appreciation for this admonition from the Lord when I was introduced to the translation of this passage in another language. In Spanish that familiar phrase is rendered “permaneced en mi.” Like the English verb “abide,” permanecer means “to remain, to stay,” but even gringos like me can hear the root cognate there of “permanence.” The sense of this then is “stay—but stay forever.” That is the call of the gospel message to Chileans and everyone else in the world. Come, but come to remain. Come with conviction and endurance. Come permanently, for your sake and the sake of all the generations who must follow you, and we will help each other be strong to the very end.


John 17
Jesus Christ intercedes for His disciples.

Jesus’s words recorded in John 17 are known as the Intercessory Prayer. In this prayer, Jesus prayed for His Apostles and “them also which shall believe on [Him] through their word” (John 17:20). That means He was praying for you. What did Jesus request from His Father in behalf of you and all other believers?

This prayer also teaches profound, eternal truths. What truths do you find as you read it?

1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy aSon, that thy Son also may bglorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him apower over all flesh, that he should give beternal life to as many as thou hast cgiven him.

3 And this is alife beternal, that they might cknow thee the only true dGod, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast esent.

4 I have aglorified thee on the earth: I have bfinished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the aglory which I had with thee bbefore the world was.

6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me aout of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast agiven me are of thee.

8 For I have given unto them the awords which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I bcame out from thee, and they have cbelieved that thou didst send me.

9 I apray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which bthou hast given me; for they are thine.

10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the aworld, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be bone, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and anone of them is blost, but the son of cperdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my ajoy fulfilled in themselves.

14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the aworld, but that thou shouldest bkeep them from the cevil.

16 They are not of the aworld, even as I am not of the world.

17 aSanctify them through thy btruth: thy word is ctruth.

18 As thou hast asent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I asanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither apray I for these alone, but for them also which shall bbelieve on me through their word;

21 That they all may be aone; as thou, bFather, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be cone in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be aone, even as we are bone:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made aperfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast bloved them, as thou hast loved me.

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

25 O righteous Father, the world hath not aknown thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

26 And I have adeclared unto them thy bname, and will declare it: that the clove wherewith thou hast dloved me may be in them, and I in them.



INTERCESSORY PRAYER COMMENTARY:

John 17:14-16

Be in the world but not of the world

lder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:



“In the Church, we often state the couplet: ‘Be in the world but not of the world.’ …

“Perhaps we should state the couplet … as two separate admonitions. First, ‘Be in the world.’ Be involved; be informed. Try to be understanding and tolerant and to appreciate diversity. Make meaningful contributions to society through service and involvement. Second, ‘Be not of the world.’ Do not follow wrong paths or bend to accommodate or accept what is not right. …

“Members of the Church need to influence more than we are influenced. We should work to stem the tide of sin and evil instead of passively being swept along by it. We each need to help solve the problem rather than avoid or ignore it” (“The Effects of Television,” Ensign, May 1989, 80).



----

The world makes us dirty, Christ makes us clean As we come unto Jesus Christ and receive the blessings of His Atonement, we can become one with the Father and the Son.



21 That they all may be aone; as thou, bFather, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be cone in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be aone, even as we are bone:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made aperfect in one; and that the world



James E Faust “We should earnestly seek not just to know about the Master, but to strive, as He invited, to be one with Him (see John 17:21). …

“… The days ahead will be filled with affliction and difficulty. But with the assuring comfort of a personal relationship with God, we will be given a calming courage” (“That We Might Know Thee,” Ensign, Jan. 1999



Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles noted, “Judas … was probably not a son of perdition in the sense of one who is damned forever, but in the sense that he was a son or follower of Satan in this life


Godhead as one

effrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in which he described the unity that exists among Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost:“We believe these three divine persons constituting a single Godhead are united in purpose, in manner, in testimony, in mission. We believe Them to be filled with the same godly sense of mercy and love, justice and grace, patience, forgiveness, and redemption. I think it is accurate to say we believe They are one in every significant and eternal aspect imaginable except believing Them to be three persons combined in one substance, a Trinitarian notion never set forth in the scriptures because it is not true” (“The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 40).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S2 E6 (Feb 3-9) “We Lived after the Manner of Happiness”

Portrait of Rebekah

S2 E30 (Aug 3-9) “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”