S2 E31 (August 10-16) “Preserved by His Marvelous Power”



WHO'S READY FOR A MIXTAPE??? It's been months since our last mixtape, and I thought a mixtape might be a great way to get your amped up for the Army of Helaman! So get your headphones out and get ready to jam with the stripling warriors.

Here's the song list:
Truth I’m Standing On by Leanna Crawford
Another in the Fire by Hillsong United
My God Fights for Me by Charity Gayle (feat. Micah Tyler & Kaden Slay)
Revolutionary by Josh Wilson
Fires by Jordan St. Cyr
EFY Medley 20th Anniversary: As Sisters in Zion / We'll Bring the World His Truth (feat. Heritage Youth Chorus)



When compared with the Lamanite armies, Helaman’s “little army” (Alma 56:33) of 2,000 young Nephites shouldn’t have stood a chance. Besides being few in number, Helaman’s soldiers “were all … very young,” and “they never had fought” (Alma 56:46–47). 

46 For as I had ever called them my sons (for they were all of them very young) even so they said unto me: Father, behold our God is with us, and he will anot suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go, lest they should overpower the army of Antipus.

47 Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the aliberty of their bfathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their cmothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.

 

 

In some ways, their situation might seem familiar to those of us who sometimes feel outnumbered and overwhelmed in our latter-day battle against Satan and the forces of evil in the world.

Truth I’m Standing On by Leanna Crawford

Good, I believe You're still good

Even when life's not good

I will not loose this hope

The God who parts the sea

Promises He's gonna

Make a way for me

This is the truth I'm standing on

Even when all my strength is gone

You are faithful forever

And I know You'll never

Let me fall

Right now I'm choosing to believe

Someday soon I'll look back and see

All the pain had a purpose

Your plan was perfect all along

This is the truth I'm standing on

 

But the army of Helaman had some advantages over the Lamanites that had nothing to do with numbers or military skill. They chose Helaman, a prophet, to lead them (Alma 53:19); “they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them” (Alma 56:47); and they had “exceeding faith in that which they had been taught.” As a result, they were protected by “the miraculous power of God” (Alma 57:26). 

26 And now, their apreservation was astonishing to our whole army, yea, that they should be spared while there was a thousand of our brethren who were slain. And we do justly ascribe it to the miraculous bpower of God, because of their exceeding cfaith in that which they had been taught to believe—that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power.

27 Now this was the afaith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are bfirm, and they do put their trust in God continually.

 

 

Even though they were all wounded in battle, “there was not one soul of them who did perish” (Alma 57:25). So when life inflicts spiritual wounds on each of us, we can take courage—the message of Helaman’s army is that “there [is] a just God, and whosoever [does] not doubt, [will] be preserved by his marvelous power” (Alma 57:26).

Another in the Fire by Hillsong United

There'll be another in the fire

Standing next to me

There'll be another in the waters

Holding back the seas

And should I ever need reminding

How good You've been to me

I'll count the joy come every battle

'Cause I know that's where You'll be

I can see the light

And I can see the light in the darkness

As the darkness bows to Him

I can hear the roar in the heavens

As the space between wears thin

I can feel the ground shake beneath us

As the prison walls cave in

Nothing stands between us

 

Integrated Curriculum Illustration

Ideas for Personal Scripture Study

Alma 53:10–22; 56:43–48, 55–56; 57:20–27; 58:39–40

As I exercise faith in God, He will bless me by His marvelous power.

Miraculous stories like the victories of Helaman’s young warriors may be hard to relate to because they seem so improbable. But one reason such stories are in the scriptures is to show us that when we have faith, God can work miracles in our lives. As you read about the stripling warriors in the following verses, look for clues about how they exercised their faith in God, what made their faith so strong, and what made the miracles possible: Alma 53:10–22; 56:43–48, 55–56; 57:20–27; and 58:39–40. After studying these verses, what do you feel inspired to do to exercise your faith?

My God Fights for Me by Charity Gayle (feat. Micah Tyler & Kaden Slay)

So what’s your story here today? What’s the giant in your way?

Are you trapped and can’t get out? Are you staring down a lion’s mouth?

Can you stand before the Lord? Or do you need to hit the floor?

It don’t matter what you’ve done? The battle is already won!


Lift your voice with me and sing "My God fights for me!"

So lift your voice in victory, "My God fights for me!"

Helaman mentioned the role of mothers in strengthening the faith of the stripling warriors (see Alma 56:47–48; 57:20–27). What roles have family members and others played in building your faith? What can you do to strengthen the faith of your family and friends?



Alma 58:1–12, 31–37; 61

I can choose to think the best of others and not be offended.

Both Helaman and Pahoran had good reasons to be offended. Helaman was not receiving sufficient support for his armies, and Pahoran was falsely accused by Moroni of withholding that support (see Alma 58:4–9, 31–32; 60). What impresses you about their reactions in Alma 58:1–12, 31–37 and Alma 61? How can you follow their example in similar situations?

Elder David A. Bednar taught: “In some way and at some time, someone in this Church will do or say something that could be considered offensive. Such an event will surely happen to each and every one of us—and it certainly will occur more than once. … You and I cannot control the intentions or behavior of other people. However, we do determine how we will act. Please remember that you and I are agents endowed with moral agency, and we can choose not to be offended” (“And Nothing Shall Offend Them,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2006, 91).

See also Proverbs 16:32; Moroni 7:45; David A. Bednar, “Meek and Lowly of Heart,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2018, 30–33.


Revolutionary by Josh Wilson

Maybe you're not like me

Maybe we don't agree

Maybe that doesn't mean

We gotta be enemies

Maybe we just get brave

Take a big leap of faith

Call a truce so me and you

Can find a better way

Let's take some time, open our eyes, look and listen (yeah)

We're gonna find we're more alike than we are different (yeah)

Why does kindness seem revolutionary

When did we let hate get so ordinary

Let's turn it around, flip the script

Judge slow, love quick

God help us get revolutionary


Integrated Curriculum Illustration

Ideas for Family Scripture Study and Family Home 

Alma 58:9–11, 33, 37

In times of great need, do we turn to Heavenly Father, as the Nephite soldiers did? How did He answer their prayers? How has He answered our prayers?

Fires  by Jordan St. Cyr

I remember how You showed me

The price of my redemption

Lord, how could I question

When You proved that You’d die for me


You’ve walked me through fires

Pulled me from flames

If You’re in this with me

I won’t be afraid


When the smoke billows higher, oh and higher

And it feels like I can barely breathe

I’ll walk through these fires

Cause You’re walking with me


As Sisters in Zion/We’ll Bring the World His Truth


Comments

  1. Always love your podcasts- especially when you add music. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! These are some of my favorite episodes to make!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

S2 E6 (Feb 3-9) “We Lived after the Manner of Happiness”

Portrait of Rebekah

S2 E30 (Aug 3-9) “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”