Episode 36 (September 9-15): A Mixtape for Trials and Tribulations



Listen to Episode 36 (Sept 9-15): "A Mixtape for Trials and Tribulations” here.


This week's episode is kind of different.  I was reading 2 Corinthians 4, and I started thinking of you guys- my listeners.  I started thinking about all the trials YOU are going through.  I started wondering what I could do to make your burdens lighter.  The only thing that came to mind was to make you a mixtape.  I used Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 4, words from our modern day Apostles and General Authorities, and some of my favorite inspiring and uplifting songs.  It's not going to help anyone prep for Sunday School or Come Follow Me lessons, but I hope it lifts you up...and maybe makes your burdens just a bit lighter. 




Ether 10:1 “Shez began to build up again a broken people.”


Are you feeling hopeless?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4: 6 & 7 For God, who acommanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath bshined in our hearts, to give the clight of the knowledge of the dglory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the apower may be of God, and not of us.


Dieter F. Uchtdorf- He Will Place You on His Shoulders and Carry You Home (April 2016)

“As I pondered the history of Dresden and marveled at the ingenuity and resolve of those who restored what had been so completely destroyed, I felt the sweet influence of the Holy Spirit. Surely, I thought, if man can take the ruins, rubble, and remains of a broken city and rebuild an awe-inspiring structure that rises toward the heavens, how much more capable is our Almighty Father to restore His children who have fallen, struggled, or become lost?”


Song: I Have This Hope by Tenth Avenue North







Are you feeling anxious?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4: 8 We are atroubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in bdespair;

Henry B. Eyering “My Peace I leave With You” (April 2017)
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:26–27).

The sons of Mosiah needed that gift of peace as they embarked on their mission to the Lamanites. With more than a little anxiety as they sensed the greatness of their task, they prayed for reassurance. And “the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them: Be comforted. And they were comforted” (Alma 17:10; see also Alma 26:27).

At times, you may long for peace as you face uncertainty and what seem to you to be looming challenges. The sons of Mosiah learned the lesson that the Lord taught to Moroni. It is a guide for us all: “If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all [who] humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

Moroni said that when he “heard these words,” he “was comforted” (Ether 12:29). They can be a comfort to all of us.“

Singing helps to get rid of anxiety:

https://www.inc.com/wanda-thibodeaux/this-might-be-simplest-scientific-way-to-get-rid-of-stress-youve-ever-heard-of.html

Song: It is Well by Bethel Music










Are you feeling alone?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4: 9 aPersecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not bdestroyed;

Jeffrey R. Holland, None Were With Him (April 2009)
“Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said: “I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”

Song: Another in the Fire by Hillsong United

Lyrics mentioned in the episode:
“There's a grace when the heart is under fire
Another way when the walls are closing in
And when I look at the space between
Where I used to be and this reckoning
I know I will never be alone
There was another in the fire
Standing next to me
There was another in the waters
Holding back the seas
And should I ever need reminding
Of how I've been set free
There is a cross that bears the burden
Where another died for me
There is another in the fire”






Are you feeling broken?

Scripture: 2 Cor. 4:10 “Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.”


Jeffrey R. Holland, Broken Things to Mend (April 2006)
“This reliance upon the merciful nature of God is at the very center of the gospel Christ taught. I testify that the Savior’s Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair.14 From the beginning, trust in such help was to give us both a reason and a way to improve, an incentive to lay down our burdens and take up our salvation. There can and will be plenty of difficulties in life. Nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ, who knows His voice and strives to do as He did, finds a strength, as the hymn says, “beyond [his] own.”15 The Savior reminds us that He has “graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands.”16Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now. When He says to the poor in spirit, “Come unto me,” He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way.”


Song: Broken Things by Matthew West

Lyrics mentioned in the episode:
The pages of history they tell me it's true
That it's never the perfect; it's always the ones with the scars that You use
It's the rebels and the prodigals; it's the humble and the weak
All the misfit heroes You chose
Tell me there's hope for sinners like me
Now I'm just a beggar in the presence of a King
I wish I could bring so much more
But if it's true You use broken things
Then here I am Lord, I'm all Yours








Are you feeling grief?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4:10 11 For we which live are alway delivered unto adeath for Jesus’ sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our bmortal flesh.
12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.
13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I abelieved, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore bspeak;
14 Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.

Sharon Eubank “Christ: The Light That Shines in the Darkness (April 2019)
“When tragedies overtake us, when life hurts so much we can’t breathe, when we’ve taken a beating like the man on the road to Jericho and been left for dead, Jesus comes along and pours oil into our wounds, lifts us tenderly up, takes us to an inn, looks after us.1 To those of us in grief, He says, “I will … ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, … that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.”2 Christ heals wounds. I testify you are beloved. The Lord knows how hard you are trying. You are making progress. Keep going. He sees all your hidden sacrifices and counts them to your good and the good of those you love. Your work is not in vain. You are not alone. His very name, Emmanuel, means “God with us.”28 He is surely with you.”


Song: Be Still My Soul by Kari Jobe

Lyrics mentioned in this episode:
In You I rest, in You I found my hope
In You I trust, You never let me go
I place my life within Your hands alone
Be still, my soul”










Are you asking why?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4: 15 15 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the athanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.

Evan A Schmutz “God Shall Wipe Away All Tears” (Oct. 2016)
“Everyone listening today is acquainted with some measure of loneliness, despair, grief, pain, or sorrow. Without an “eye of faith”4 and an understanding of eternal truth, we often find that the misery and suffering experienced in mortality can obscure or eclipse the eternal joy of knowing that the great plan of our Father in Heaven really is the eternal plan of happiness. There is no other way to receive a fulness of joy.5

God invites us to respond with faith to our own unique afflictions in order that we may reap blessings and gain knowledge that can be learned in no other way. We are instructed to keep the commandments in every condition and circumstance, for “he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.”6 And as we read in scripture, “If thou art sorrowful, call on the Lord thy God with supplication, that your souls may be joyful.”7

Song: Beautiful Heartbreak by Hilary Weeks







Are you feeling like you can’t go on?

Scripture: 2 Cor 4: 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Jeffrey R. Holland Like a Broken Vessel (Oct 2013)
In striving for some peace and understanding in these difficult matters, it is crucial to remember that we are living—and chose to live—in a fallen world where for divine purposes our pursuit of godliness will be tested and tried again and again. Of greatest assurance in God’s plan is that a Savior was promised, a Redeemer, who through our faith in Him would lift us triumphantly over those tests and trials, even though the cost to do so would be unfathomable for both the Father who sent Him and the Son who came. It is only an appreciation of this divine love that will make our own lesser suffering first bearable, then understandable, and finally redemptive.

Song: Blessings by Laura Story


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S2 E6 (Feb 3-9) “We Lived after the Manner of Happiness”

Portrait of Rebekah

S2 E30 (Aug 3-9) “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”