S2 E5 (Jan 27- Feb 2) "I will prepare the way before you"

Listen to S2 E5 (Jan 27- Feb 2) "I will prepare the way before you"

Podbean: https://thesaviorsaid.podbean.com/
Spotify: http://ow.ly/Zpg650uuNjg
iTunes: http://ow.ly/RGeQ50uuNjb
Stitcher: http://ow.ly/H4Lu50uuNja





It's mixtape time! In this week's episode, I apologize to Nephi and talk about relying on the Lord through those times when we think "I did everything right! Why am I going through this?" I hope you enjoy!
Track listing:
#1 Thy Will by Hillary Scott
#2 Lord I Need Thee by Matt Maher
#3 Do It Again by Elevation Worship
#4 Love Like This by Lauren Daigle
#5 Even If by Mercy Me

If you like their music, please go download these songs from Amazon Music or iTunes (or wherever you buy your music)!



Stream of Consciousness notes:

Intro


As Lehi’s family journeyed toward the promised land, the Lord made them this promise: “I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments” (1 Nephi 17:13). Clearly, that promise did not mean that the journey would be easy—family members still disagreed, bows broke, and people struggled and died, and they still had to build a ship from raw materials. However, when the family faced adversity or seemingly impossible tasks, Nephi recognized that the Lord was never far away. He knew that God “doth nourish [the faithful], and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them” (1 Nephi 17:3). If you ever wonder why bad things happen to good people like Nephi and his family, you may find insights in these chapters. But perhaps more important, you will see what good people do when bad things happen.
Track #1

1 Nephi 16–18
When I keep the commandments, God will help me face challenges.

Chapters 16–18 of 1 Nephi describe several challenges that Nephi’s family faced, including dealing with a broken bow (see 1 Nephi 16:17–32), the death of Ishmael (see 1 Nephi 16:34–39), building a ship (see 1 Nephi 17:7–16; 18:1–4), and family discord (see 1 Nephi 18:9–22). How did Nephi’s responses to these challenges differ from the responses of some of his family members?

Broken Bow:

1 Nephi 16

19 And it came to pass that we did return without food to our families, and being much fatigued, because of their journeying, they did suffer much for the want of food.

20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did amurmur against the Lord.

21 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brethren because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their asprings, it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea, insomuch that we could obtain no food.

22 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did speak much unto my brethren, because they had hardened their hearts again, even unto acomplaining against the Lord their God.



Thy Will by Hillary Scott

I’m so confused

I know I heard You loud and clear

So, I followed through

Somehow I ended up here

I don’t wanna think

I may never understand

That my broken heart is a part of Your plan

When I try to pray

All I’ve got is hurt and these four words

Thy will be done




Track #2
The Lord guides me through small and simple means.

When God led Lehi’s family into the wilderness, He did not provide them with a detailed travel plan to the promised land. But He did give Lehi the Liahona to guide his family daily toward their destination. What has Heavenly Father given you to provide guidance and direction? What do you think it means that “by small means the Lord can bring about great things”? (1 Nephi 16:29).

As you read 1 Nephi 16:10–16, 23–31 and 18:11–22, consider making a list of principles that illustrate how God guides His children (for example, 1 Nephi 16:10 can teach that God sometimes guides us in unexpected ways).



Decisions

In Spanish, French and Italian, "decisions" are something you "take" like a train that leads you somewhere new, whereas in English you "make" them like little pieces of your own creation. But in German you "meet" them, like friends.- Javier Santana



Lord I Need You by Matt Maher

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You

Every hour I need You

My one defense, my righteousness

Oh God, how I need You






Track #3

Building a ship

Nephi’s family starts complaining again
-unstructured time leads nowhere good
-Nephi reminds them how God has helped them in the past
- Moses leading the Children of Israel out of bondage to the Egyptians
- Red Sea
- Manna
- Rock in the wilderness
-Leading them in the wilderness
- Fiery serpents

I Nephi 17:

50 And I said unto them: aIf God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.

51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot ainstruct me, that I should build a ship?

Do It Again by Elevation Worship

Walking around these walls

I thought by now they'd fall

But You have never failed me yet

Waiting for change to come

Knowing the battle's won

For You have never failed me yet

Your promise still stands

Great is Your faithfulness, faithfulness

I'm still in Your hands

This is my confidence, You've never failed me yet

I've seen You move, come move the mountains

And I believe, I'll see You do it again

You made a way, where there was no way

And I believe, I'll see You do it again




Track #4

1 Nephi 19

9 And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they aspit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving bkindness and his clong-suffering towards the children of men.

Maybe Nephi felt some empathy?


10 And the aGod of our fathers, who were bled out of Egypt, out of bondage, and also were preserved in the wilderness by him, yea, the cGod of Abraham, and of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, dyieldeth himself, according to the words of the angel, as a man, into the hands of ewicked men, to be flifted up, according to the words of gZenock, and to be hcrucified, according to the words of Neum, and to be buried in a isepulchre, according to the words of jZenos, which he spake concerning the three days of kdarkness, which should be a sign given of his death unto those who should inhabit the isles of the sea, more especially given unto those who are of the lhouse of Israel.

11 For thus spake the prophet: The Lord God surely shall avisit all the house of Israel at that day, some with his bvoice, because of their righteousness, unto their great joy and salvation, and others with the cthunderings and the lightnings of his power, by tempest, by fire, and by dsmoke, and evapor of fdarkness, and by the opening of the gearth, and by hmountains which shall be carried up.

12 And aall these things must surely come, saith the prophet bZenos. And the crocks of the earth must rend; and because of the dgroanings of the earth, many of the kings of the isles of the sea shall be wrought upon by the Spirit of God, to exclaim: The God of nature suffers.

13 And as for those who are at Jerusalem, saith the prophet, they shall be ascourged by all people, because they crucify the God of Israel, and turn their hearts aside, rejecting signs and wonders, and the power and glory of the God of Israel.

14 And because they turn their hearts aside, saith the prophet, and have adespised the Holy One of Israel, they shall wander in the flesh, and perish, and become a bhiss and a cbyword, and be dhated among all nations.

15 Nevertheless, when that day cometh, saith the prophet, that they ano more bturn aside their hearts against the Holy One of Israel, then will he remember the ccovenants which he made to their fathers.

16 Yea, then will he remember the aisles of the sea; yea, and all the people who are of the house of Israel, will I bgather in, saith the Lord, according to the words of the prophet Zenos, from the four quarters of the earth.

17 Yea, and all the earth shall asee the salvation of the Lord, saith the prophet; every nation, kindred, tongue and people shall be blessed.


Look at Bible Dictionary: Lost Books


Why did Nephi contain these in his record?



18 And I, Nephi, have written these things unto my people, that perhaps I might persuade them that they would aremember the Lord their Redeemer.


Love Like This by Lauren Daigle

When I am a wasteland

You are the water

When I am the winter

You are the fire that burns

When I am a long night

You are the sunrise

When I am a desert

You are the river that turns

To find me

What have I done to deserve love like this?

I cannot earn what You so freely give




Track #5

Nephi tied up on the ship 1 Nephi 18:9–22


11 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel did take me and abind me with cords, and they did treat me with much harshness; nevertheless, the Lord did suffer it that he might show forth his power, unto the fulfilling of his word which he had bspoken concerning the wicked.

16 Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did apraise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions.

Even if by Mercy Me

It's easy to sing

When there's nothing to bring me down

But what will I say

When I'm held to the flame

Like I am right now

I know You're able and I know You can

Save through the fire with Your mighty hand

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone



But God, when You choose

To leave mountains unmovable

Oh give me the strength to be able to sing

It is well with my soul

I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt

Would all go away if You'd just say the word

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone

You've been faithful, You've been good

All of my days

Jesus, I will cling to You

Come what may

'Cause I know You're able

I know You can






Comments

  1. I’ve also heard the story about temple chandeliers missing instructions, I thought maybe it was in a conference talk. I found a similar story about the construction of the Mt Timoanogos temple in Utah. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/1997/03/at-home-in-his-house?lang=eng

    I’m enjoying your podcast; thanks for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! That is it exactly! It's a cool story! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

S2 E6 (Feb 3-9) “We Lived after the Manner of Happiness”

Portrait of Rebekah

S2 E30 (Aug 3-9) “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”